Friday, August 20, 2010

Southern Hospitality

So I've been living in the south for just over a month now. It as weird at work yesterday we (me and the two other girls who started at the same time) received an email from our HR director informing us that we had reached our 30 mark. It was so weird, it alternately feels like we just started and have been there forever. We really hit the ground running, August and September are the busiest season for Membership staff, we have to try and get to all the schools in our area (one of my school districts has 16 elementary schools) make fliers, meet our Service Unit teams, plan recruitment events, along with a bunch of other stuff. So needless to say we've been busy. Which I like because I've never been one to sit around and be bored. I've got two areas in Oklahoma that I'm responsible for, and they're pretty much needing to be rebuilt from scratch. So I've been out there a lot, I'm really getting to know the guys at Enterprise. Which kinda sucks because if I'm going to drive an hour to hour and a half out there I'm going to get as much out of it as possible, so I end up being out of the office for at least half the day. Luckily my two other areas are less than half an hour away from the office, so I can take quick trips up there no problem.
Everyone at work has been really nice, actually I've notice that everyone down here in general is really nice! What they say about southern hospitality is totally true! For instance, twice now the cashiers at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets (which are like just the grocery side of a Wal-Mart which is super convenient for quick trips on my way home from work) has helped me put my bags in my cart. I also bought a couch/chair/ottoman off of Craigslist (which is practically new and super nice). When I told the lady that I wanted to buy them, but couldn't pick them up seeing as how I don't know anyone well enough here to ask them to help me move furniture. So she offered to bring them to town and deliver them. She also said she'd be glad to introduce me to her kids that go to the University of Arkansas (she thought I was a student also). People don't just do that in Michigan, at least I've never seen it! It's kinda nice, I like friendly people. Now I just have to try and make some friends. Which isn't exactly something I'm really good at. I don't even know where to start. Sigh, so if anyone has any advice on where and how to make friends I'd really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment