Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Hair Post :-)

As you may know if you've read my previous post I will be doing a fundraiser for St Baldricks and in November I'll be shaving my head to help raise money for cancer research! I'm super excited, and a bit nervous.

The post-shower, pre-dye picture at Wal Greens

Well earlier this year I made a decision to see if I could go a whole year without getting my hair cut (more than a trim) or dyeing my hair! I'm about 3-4 months into that test.....well tonight I failed miserably because I did both! But with good intentions. This is because after researching the requirements to donate my hair to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths campaign I found that my hair would not be acceptable. Mostly due to my love affair with hair dye.
Did blond earlier this year, didn't love it
I've been dyeing my hair for years, I think the first time was in 7th or 8th grade, and I've been pretty regular about it since....I've done quite a wide range of colors as well, going from blonde to dark brown to purple to auburn and just about every color in between. Dyeing my hair is something I do when I'm bored.
One of my favorites!
There is also a slight vanity to it because in my family people go gray/white very early.
My father had a streak of gray that was like a skunk streak. We all assumed my sister, who inherited our father's coloring and looks would get that lovely trait....well of course it didn't work like that. By the time I was 18 or 19 I was starting to get gray hairs in exactly the same spot while my sister (who's never dyed her hair) might just now be getting gray's! Well I've decided to give up my expensive habit entirely! Once my head is shaved and I never have to worry about my roots showing (which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine) I won't by dyeing my hair anymore! I just really hope if I do go gray/white I get lucky and it'll go quickly and be pretty like my grandma's hair!
My most common color
So this might not be the last time I dye my hair before November, I was paralyzed by the choices at Wal-Greens this afternoon and might want to revisit some of my favorite colors before I give up the habit!
Waiting for the goop to set

So today I chose dark brown, who knows what I'll do next. But I've set a limit I've got 8 weeks left to torture my hair with dye and then I'm done! If you haven't had a chance to check out my St Baldricks page check it out! I'm really excited, I told everyone at work about it (just wanted to make sure they knew so that when I show up to my department retreat a few days later I don't scare anyone) and my supervisor just said 'thanks for the heads up (haha get it)' so that was encouraging! My two co-workers that started with me were excited for me to and encouraged me to plan a big event in Fayetteville, which I'm still looking at, but might wait a bit longer just because I don't have nearly the connections or knowledge of the area yet! Well that's all for now, still reading Hannah's Hope and still really enjoying it, also had my first RedBox experience, and was a little disappointed with the lack of selection! I miss Family Video! So I ended up with Sherlock Holmes which I've seen a few times but always enjoy.
The finished product, and new bangs

2 comments:

  1. I thought I posted on here once already .....I love the bangs...looks good, brings out your eyes. Of course I'm partial to bangs! *L

    ReplyDelete