Thursday, July 15, 2010

First day of the rest of our lives...

So it has been a while since I updated. I decided to take the job with the Girl Scouts. I leave for Arkansas on Friday! I'm so nervous!! But very exited too! This is my very first grown up job, working 40 hours a week for a salary with benefits and responsibility. It will be my opportunity to see if all my schooling and life up to this point has prepared me for a real job! Yikes.
Things have worked out quite well for me, I was nervous about what would happen with school, drill, etc. But things have worked out. I dropped my classes from the second half of summer, and my first class from spring ended the week before I got the job offer sot hat went well. My class that covers the whole 12 weeks of summer was what had me nervous. My professor had told the class that we could not miss any classes or we'd fail. Yikes, so I emailed him and luckily he was very willing to be flexible. For drill I will be drilling in Arkansas and they will send paperwork back to Michigan.
Most of our furniture has been sold, and I've been doing quite a bit of packing. I'll be taking a carload of stuff with me tomorrow, Mark will be coming down in August with a moving truck with the majority of our stuff and we'll signing a lease. I'll be looking at townhouses/apartments/duplexes for the next two weeks after work and such. so hopefully when Mark comes down I will have narrowed down the list to a couple of places that we can go look at together. Then he will be coming back down to Arkansas for good in Sept/Oct after finishing out our lease and making sure that we have benefits until mine kick in.
I start my first day on Monday at 10AM!! I'm super nervous, I mean this is my first grown up job, with responsibility and expectations and a salary! I'm curious how did you all feel before your first day as a grown up? Cause I'm super nervous, excited, and a bit apprehensive about letting people down. When we went up north over the holiday weekend it was a little bittersweet. It was great to get to see family and spend time with them. But it was also a little sad because we stopped at a couple different cemetery's across the UP. While we were in the Soo we went out to see my Grandpa James' and my dad's graves. I was quite proud of my ability to remember where it was since I hadn't been there in years. We brought some flowers and a baseball (for those that don't know my Grandpa was big in sports). In Newberry we stopped and saw Tiffany's grave. I'd never been before so we had a bit of a time finding it. And lastly in Manistique we stopped by Grandma Jessick and Jessica's graves. So many people in my life that I owe so much to, and hopefully have made proud. I wonder what they'd think of my first grown-up job, of me, of my life choices. I'd like to think they're happy.
So any words of advice or encouragement would great, plus any great first day stories would amuse me :-D
Pray for me please hopefully the trip will be uneventful and I'll arrive in our new town sometime Saturday afternoon.

love you all,
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you, Nicole! Starting a new job is always stressful and I can only imagine starting a new job so far away from friends and family would add even more pressure to the first day experience. Good luck, you are going to do fanastic!

    About 3 months ago I started my first real, grown-up job! I'm a case manager at a mental health agency and was extremely nervous when my first day rolled around. What were they going to expect from me? Would I be ready for this responsibility? Would I know what I was doing? Well, I had no idea what I was doing and still am trying to figure that out. But the reason I wanted to message you was to tell you about how my first day started. :)

    I moved downstate in a tiny town called Onekama, it's about an hour from Traverse City. The house we were going to be renting wasn't ready yet so our landlord was letting me stay in her mom's cottage right on Lake MI. Sounds luxurious, right? Well it was March and there was no heat. And no TV. And come to find out, no warm water. I was all alone because Jared had to stay behind for a month or two just like Mark's doing. I was staying in the living room of the cottage and shut all of the other doors of the house to try to get one room to keep warm from the tiny space heater I had. The room never got above 55 the whole night. When it got dark, I realized there was some type of creature running around upstairs. Pretty sure it was a squirrel, but at night in the dark it sounded way bigger and I was terrified. I went to check it out one night but couldn't find anything. Well the morning I woke up for work after sleeping barely a few hours I realized I had slept too close to the space heater and my face looked like I got a bad sunburn. Then I went to take a shower (a VERY cold one) and turned on the bathroom light as well as the kitchen light and the whole downstairs of the cottage lost power. I had to comb my hair and get dressed in the car with the tiny dome light because the cottage was absolutely pitch black. I got to work finally, (a few minutes late might I add!!) and looked like ridiculous mess!

    My first day was very memorable and included quite a few tears for my first few weeks of being alone, but now I love telling that story! And I'll remember it forever! Soak up every second of this exciting adventure you are about to embark on! What a great opportunity, you are going to do GREAT! Keep posting so I can hear about how it's going!

    ReplyDelete